Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Captain Danger


We have a Costco near our home. This sounded too good to be true so we took off to check it out even though we don’t have our new house yet. I should have realized that the trip was going to go downhill when we couldn’t find parking. Instead of leaving like we should have we tackled the escalator in the pouring rain. Although there were a tons of signs that said not to attempt to walk down the slippery stairs I did just that. All of a sudden it became a slip and slide and down I went grabbing for the rail. I cut myself on the step and got my pants all dirty. As if that wasn’t bad enough, Jeremy yells out – whoa, Captain Danger. Thanks for the embarrassing shout out!

Hurt and embarrassed, I hobbled in to check it out. The prison-like guard that mans the membership cards spotted us and blocked our entry. Playing the stupid Americans got us no where. Unfortunately they found someone who spoke English to get us a membership. Apparently she wasn’t fluent enough to realize that she put Jeremy under my picture and Denise under his. Looks like I’ll get to forge his signature every time I want some comfort food.

The store itself was just like home. They even had the same bored vendor people handing out tiny samples of junk. I would go over and get the sample and then look totally interested for two minutes while they explained/described the product in Japanese. Dudes, I don’t understand you. I just want the food and then I want to walk away without the language lesson. I don’t have much use in my vocabulary for Tyson’s Chicken Nuggets. Thanks for understanding.

Costco, you are not my friend.

No comments: