Monday, May 21, 2012

The Cottage Tales - Celle

A few weeks ago we had the honor of visiting my friend's country cottage in Wietze. I love experiencing a new places with people who know them personally. Plus, it helps that they have kids nearly the same age as ours so they had a blast playing together in the downtime. Their home in Wietze is really a series of small homes on one land. 




Inga's greatgrandma was born in this house (which would have been considered a barn at that time). It was really old, but totally revamped to have all the new age stuff I can't live without. 








It still had some sweet touches from their childhood in it.




Under the floors were big cellars. At first I was a little scared having so many spiders under my feet, but they kept the house a lovely temperature.




The highlight of our trip was visiting Celle. It was visually stunning. They are famous for their timber-framed houses. We loved trying to find the dates on the houses. They were incredibly old -- like 500 years old. 








My kids are super travelers. I think that has been our biggest blessing with this crazy overseas lifestyle we've embarked on. Abby is fearless and takes everything in stride. She might look like her dad, but she's got my adventurous spirit in her.








This tree was gorgeous. I wish I could have crawled down the branches and dipped my toes into the water. 




I loved Celle Castle. Here is one awesome fact about it: From 1772 it was occupied by the British-born, Danish queen, Caroline Matilda, the daughter of Frederick, Prince of Wales, who had been banished to Celle as a result of her affair with Johann Friedrich Struensee of Copenhagen. The unhappy queen only lived at the Celle court until 1775 when she died at a relatively young age of scarlet fever. Not a shabby place to be banished to. I'd take it.








The grounds were covered in gardens, streams, and playgrounds. Abby was in heaven.






Trying to figure out your kid's limits is probably the most difficult part of parenting. Abby REALLY wanted to go down this pole, but it was incredibly high and she would probably get somewhat hurt if she couldn't do it. It turns out she was a master at it -- as she had been rocking the one at her kita for months. I don't know how I feel about that, but I was super proud of myself for letting her at least try it. 




And see how happy she was! Who could say no to that face and those dandelion horns?




Abby promptly throw this stick into the water and then slid down the bank and into the river after it. Good thing we had extra pants!






I loved this water fountain from 1695.





This was the oldest house we could find -- but not the oldest one there by far. This house was built in 1532.






1544 for this one:




The wood frames were sagging and cracking. I  would not want to live on the bottom floor.








Again, I originally was not a fan to let her climb this tree, but she rocked it. That's my girl!






Every night we played board games and ate tons o'junk food. This is my kind of cottaging. 



No comments: