Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Normandy - Juno and Omaha Beach

It was super humbling to visit Juno Beach, Normandy, on Canada Day. All the tour guides are from different areas of Canada and are young and vibrant -- exactly like the brave men who landed on that beach.  The memorial museum was very touching. The art was moving. I can't recommend it enough.



The end of the tour takes you inside a real German bunker. It was fascinating. And scary. I can't imagine how terrifying it would be to have been to live inside this bunker waiting. 




It literally alternated between beautiful sun and torrential rain off and on over and over. I guess that is very normal, but super annoying. 



We also visited Omaha Beach. We didn't see the museum and opted instead to tour the cemetery and walk along the beach. 



It is crazy to think that such a beautiful place has such a horrible and heart wrenching history. 




I couldn't help but think that the crosses are so tiny in comparison to the heartbreak each family suffered at the loss of their child, father, or friend. 










It really is beyond lovely here. 


I wanted to dip my toes in the famous waters and walk in the footsteps of the soldiers. 




We accidently walked into a puddle with a sinkhole and it sucked Abby's shoe right off. I guess Omaha Beach will always have a reminder of us.



6 comments:

Holly said...

Those kids are so stinkin' cute!

Jessica said...

Denise! What a beautiful post. I loved what you said about the grave markers being so small in comparison to the loss their loved ones suffer. I think of how hard it is to have a husband leave for TDY but to be killed is mind blowingly terrible.

Sarah said...

Wow, it is beautiful there. When I went with study abroad it was winter, drizzly, dreary and cold. But maybe for fitting for the history that took place. In any case, it is sobering to think of all the lives that were lost there.

Sommer Family said...

All your adventures sound so wonderful! I hope we get back to Europe!

Being Ausmus said...

Amazing!

Being Ausmus said...

Amazing Denise!