Sunday, September 24, 2006

09/17 - Spanish soaps are fantastic

Breakfast is definitely the weirdest meal of the day. I think the company gave them a list of things people from the west like – and helped them purchase it - but they don’t know how to pair them with other foods. For example, this morning we had eggs and beef ramen noodles. I also get served things like yogurt and instant hot chocolate. Interesting that’s for sure.

Lucy went off to church and we headed to the big city to find some fun. Basically we spent the morning buying apples for starving children and playing with babies that were crawling around on the garbage littered ground.

The ride of choice in Kenya is the matatu - an interesting bus/van that seats 14. More often than not it squishes in about 16-20 grown adults. Today I sat with five other people in a three person seat with a child on my lap. Who loves personal space? The bass they had in there would make oldschool gangsters jealous.

I love fruit so I was totally stoked to see fresh grapes lying on a dusty box being sold in the heart of town. The fruit ladies are desperately poor and can barely care for themselves; it is not even possible for them to help anyone else at this point. Their children were in sweaters that were suffocating hot, crawling in between the busy shoppers in the dirt. I felt bad for them and bought bunches of grapes to help them out.

Around lunch we passed a breathtaking mosque where followers were being called to prayer. The sound was eerie and yet absolutely beautiful. I think the Islam culture is so interesting and I love any chance I get to watch them as they serve Allah. Their dedication, at least in the non-jihad sense, is very inspiring to me.

Of course at one point we got lost but were lucky enough to find the Hilton nearby. This was no paradise. You had to walk through security gates even before you entered into the main lobby. Deciding that was too hardcore to deal with for a Sunday morning we walked aimlessly about enjoying the city sounds.

The Nakumatt is a lifesaver. It is a grocery store that sells Western food at a reasonable cost. We stocked up on Oreos, pop, bottled water, candy and CANADIAN CHOCOLATE! I love you, Nakumatt!

Lucy bought a cabinet in town so we were lucky to catch a ride on the delivery truck home. We sat in the back with Moses; a man who really wanted a green card by marrying Tara. They should have a green card marriage game show here. It was really fun finding out what people our age do here; although, I was way happy to be released from the “Kenya is poor could I have your money pity look” cage I was sitting in.

It is really funny that most Kenyans have Western names. I am expect them to say my name is *&%^$# - something Swahili. Instead they are like I am Todd or Matt or Henry. It really freaks me out every time. I guess I don’t catch on too fast.

We came home later in the evening to a dead man hanging off the electrical wires on the corner of the house next to ours. Apparently, he had been cleaning the roof when the water hit the wires, electrocuted him and sent him falling into them entangled. It was horrific. His family had sent him to the “rich” part of town to make money for the family and he will never go home. Death is nothing in Kenya as it happens every day. Absolutely heartbreaking is all I can say. The electricity was off for most of the night while they removed the body and fixed the wires.

Since we were all pretty sad and didn’t want to spend the time in the dark we went to the orphanage to meet the children. Most where in bed but the few that were up were so excited to see us. I picked them up one by one and gave out hugs till my back hurt. They are gorgeous and brilliant and loving beyond measure. I can’t wait till I am able to meet them all tomorrow.

The electricity was back on when we got home and so we cuddled up to watch Sacro de Amore; a Spanish soap opera our Kenyan mom is obsessed with. It was actually good and I can’t wait till it comes on again. It was a nice release from the drama of the day.

So... I broke the toliet, which isn't great because I ate A LOT of grapes. I will keep you updated.

Love you all!

No comments: