Tuesday, September 26, 2006

09/21 - Karma

Karma rocks! Tara, who was making fun of me being sick, has come down with a very similar illness that has kept her in close quarters with the toilet. Alas, the joy of revenge sweeps over me. Just kidding; I feel really bad for her. Pepto-Bismol has brought us closer together than ever.

Sweet Phoebe was easily bought off for $3 and a row of Oreos. Now I can enjoy my day without bleeding all over my laundry. She really is quite wonderful.

I spent the morning in the outdoor “cage” with Jerold. He was doing physical therapy with the kids and I was trying to keep them from killing each other over rocks. He has finished his bachelors but wants to do a master’s in the States or South Africa. If anyone knows of a good program he might be eligible for I would love to pass along the information to him. He seems brilliant, has a heart of gold and is wonderful with kids – a great candidate for his field. I don’t think he has much money but I am sure he might be able to secure a scholarship and is willing to work to support himself where he is there. I told him about Brigham Young University, and he loved the idea of Utah. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Today I was grilling the staff about Kenyan cultures and traditions: marriage, dating, family, religion, expectations, finances, employment, et cetera. It was really fascinating how alike we really are when it comes to core desires and expectations from life. One of my favorite parts of the day is when I get to meet the people and learn them.

Gross news ahead - I would have stayed longer at the orphanage but a little boy made that impossible. I was bouncing him on my lap when diarrhea shot out of his diaper and pants and all over my shirt and skirt. Needless to say, I was totally disgusted and went home to change. Everyone thought it was hysterical that I was poop covered. I am sure they high-fived the kid when I left.

After that episode I realized that I needed some Western comfort and headed straight to Safari-Park Hotel, a very, very expensive hotel – by Kenyan standards - in the middle of Nairobi. It has amazing food from home. I spent the afternoon by the lazy river under an umbrella eating teriyaki chicken, french fries and chocolate cake. This is totally Jeremy’s type of Africa and I hope to take him here someday. It is out-of-this-world awesome.

I almost felt bad eating here because my meal alone could have feed 10 kids for a week but I just couldn’t help going. Sometimes you jut have to realize that there is only so much you can do or you will drive yourself crazy. I handed out a ton of candy on the way to the Cyber Cafe to make myself feel better.

I spent way too much time online today and didn’t realize it was dark when we started back. Foreigners plus dark = worst idea ever. One of the first nights a volunteer asked how safe it was to be outside after dark and the Kenyan lady just started making throat slashing motions. I interpret that as being bad. So here we were, Tara, Lucy and I, trying to get home with no lights walking in ditches, alleys and sometimes even on the road. Tara, always the comforter, exclaimed, “at least if we get hit we won’t see the vehicles coming and maybe it won’t hurt.” Thanks, Tara. I will keep that in mind. I am pretty sure that I stepped in every form of feces in existence – not the day to wear flip flops.

The last duty of the night was to collect our laundry hanging off the building. One false move later and it was raining Tara’s panties onto the street below. Oh, boy.

People here love to read off your computer scene while you are typing. I even have a stalker who must have copied down my email as I was replying to some of you. How exciting! She used it to type me an email:

Hello. I was seated next to you today Thursday in the cyber cafe when you browsed. I liked you and the way you were communicating with the Kenyan lady you were with. Good people cannot hide for their godness penetrates their silence. I am Judy a graduate from Kenyatta University. I have a Masters Degree in Counseling Psychology. I am single but getting married early next year. Please let me know you. I believe we can be of great help to each other. Thanks as you reply. God bless your stay in Kenya.

Till next time….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Regarding Girl who sat next to you, copied your e-mail address and wrote you a personal note: whoa.