Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Pumpkin Patch

Today some friends and I traveled out of the city to check out a farmer's market. Way fun. Not only did they have rides and awesome food, but they made the most fantastic sculptures out of vegetables. We're saving the big corn maze and shopping for Wednesday when we return.

The kids (minus Abby) belong to Shawn and Shawna. They are my Berlin peeps and I invite myself along to everything they do. I'm real polite like that.

I think fall vegetables are beautiful. They compliment my skin tones, so no matter where I stood I was looking hot.


It would be sacrilegious to eat out in Germany and not have some sort of hot dog. These girls never break the rules.

The sculpture theme was fairy tales. I have no idea what this one was, but if I didn't know the theme I would have guessed they created Check Point Charlie. The over-the-top communist eyebrows totally give it away.

Five dollars to anyone who can guess what fairy tale this is.

This is Cinderella's pumpkin coach. Those look like real horses that have been tared and feathered.

These two are always sharing secrets.

Don't these pumpkins look like they were once WAY fatter but lost a lot of weight and are covered in hanging skin? Maybe it's just me, but the one on the right kind of looks like my stomach after the c-section.

These balloon jumpers were the must-ride of the market. I would have gone up but I was rocking Oliver in the Bjorn.

This is Shawna's niece. She is way fun. She made sure Abby didn't eat it while I was taking pictures.

What fairy tale has a huge cannon in it? And why would they pick that one object out of the fairy tale to highlight?

This one has to be that Piper dude.
Totally my fav.

Random napping guy. Sometimes things just get lost in translation.

This is Snow White, but she looks like some fairy tale you can only legally 'read' in Amsterdam (if you know what I'm saying).

Stinks to be one of the seven dwarfs in Germany -- one of their names turned out to be Pimpel.

Shawna is a free-range parent -- quit clapping with approval, Crystal. She let her daughter Bella ride on the merry-go-round solo (she just turned one). Abby is 2.5 and I had to force myself not to ride behind her and hold her down. I did, however, stand irresponsibly close just in case she forgot the rules of the road and needed me to throw myself in front of the car to save her. I am so going to cramp her style when she gets older with my helicopter parenting.

Jeremy couldn't be there, but I was kind enough to get him some pumpkin flavored treats.

Guess who is getting some doilies, Mom(s). I can't help but feed your addictions.


6 comments:

Cassandra Hill said...

Holy Cow those sculptures are impressive! How fun!

Crystal said...

It's okay. I won't Riley ride anything by himself and he's 18 months. ;)

Sommer Family said...

El Paso could sure take some lessons from the Germans when it comes to Fall Festivals!

Anonymous said...

I was just asking Derrick like an hour ago if we can find a pumpkin patch somewhere. But I changed my mind... I want to go to THAT pumpkin patch!!! How neat!

Jessica said...

Stunning! I wish I could have been there with you! I love this season and I'm glad you get to enjoy it in Germany. I can only imagine the bliss of those Christmas markets!

Sarah said...

That is ONE impressive pumpkin patch!