Sunday, August 08, 2010

Midwife Madness

The German healthcare system is the bomb (unless you need an epidural!). Included in your sweet hospital stay is a take-home midwife who comes to visit you 10 times after you have the baby. This means you don't have to keep trucking your baby to see the doctor over and over for the first month. I also don't need any follow up care for my c-section because she makes sure I'm healing fast and well.

Included in her services: breast massages to get out any knots (serious awesomeness), breastfeeding counseling, physical therapy (we do a lot of pilates and pelvic and core strengthening exercises), moral support (bringing lots of free samples and presents for me and Abby), well-baby checkups (including giving your baby its first bath and oil massages), etc.

My midwife is straight up hippy -- she's got the armpits to prove it.


Jeremy gave Ollie his first bath in water, olive oil and 1.5% milk. The water was good enough to drink.

He was happy for the first minute or two, but then he got a little angry...



Check out his "mom" curls.

Ollie getting his oil massage.

He's cute, even when he clearly wants to kill us.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang... I wish I could have all that luxury when I have children. Is there any way to do a mail order midwife???

That bath looked so spa-tastic! Too bad Ollie decided he was done before you guys did. Poor thing haha. LOVE the curls tho :)

Shelle said...

See there is really something to love about Germany, they don't care if you shave your pits or your legs! It's all GOOD!

Callicott Family said...

America needs to get on top of this! How awesome.

Being Ausmus said...

I love him. Thats all I have to say. I just absolutely love that adorable boy with dark curly hair!!!!! And I love that your midwife doesn't shave her pits:)!!!! And I love that you got your breasts massaged by her!!! Okay I just love every inch of this post:)!!!!