Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Countdown

Dec 6th was St. Nicholas Day. All the boys and girls put a boot outside their bedroom door and he came and put presents in it. Abby was THRILLED.

The thrill wore off when she saw how practical St. Nicholas was. I thought this toothbrush (that was electric and came with a pile of stickers so she could decorate it) was fun. Apparently it was just confusing and pathetic. She'll thank me later when she doesn't have a mouth full of cavities.


I also got her some fun butterfly slippers to wear around the house. Ever since I fell down the stairs I've been pretty anal about her wearing either bare feet or socks with tread.

St. Nicholas got Jeremy a biography of Nelson Mandela, which coincidently was something I wanted to read as well. That crafty little man. I love Oliver's super squishy cheeks-o-chub.



We celebrated that night with citrus green beans, roast in a red wine gravy and garlic potatoes puree. Delish!




I can't believe my kids are fighting already!

I love how my ward in Germany goes against the church handbook and totally decorates the chapel for Christmas. It is AWESOME, and totally brings the spirit in more abundance to our meetings. It's a far cry from our chapel in Japan where I couldn't even hang a photo of the Savior on the wall because we didn't want to "ruin" the walls in the YW room. They did let me compromise by bringing a picture to class every week and fixing it to the white board with a magnet. My bishop totally sided with us (because he was seriously fantastic) but we had to share the building and respect the other ward craziness. I am SO happy we don't share a building here and can do whatever we want!




6 comments:

Denna Le Lyman-Robertson said...

I totally LOVE the church decorations. The Germans know how to celebrate Christmas. I want kiss those sweet chubby Ollie cheeks. These are the best years of your life when your children are small an near you.

Denna Le Lyman-Robertson said...

That dinner looks delicious!

Cassandra Hill said...

Love this update, Denise! That food looks really, really good!! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh! I totally remember how bare the YW room was. I felt so bad for our girls. They were good sports though.
That dinner looked amazing! Especially the roast! I've been craving roast for a couple weeks now. I think it's high time I go get one :)

Callicott Family said...

Nice church decorations. Germans are just crazy for Christmas, which I love. Want to come cook for me sometime?

Being Ausmus said...

Love the disappointment on Abby's face...kinda like getting an apple in your Halloween bag...no one wants a toothbrush for Christmas:)!!!