Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Horns vs. Helmets

I have a new German friend named Inga. She is amazing at tracking down super fun things to do while our husbands are away. Our kids are nearly the same age and go to the same kita. We also live about a five minute walk from each other. She is simply delightful.

I have always loved getting to know people in our host countries. Some of my greatest friendships in Japan were with the wonderful ladies that spent their free time showing me all their favorite places -- shopping, site seeing, restaurants, etc. I also loved getting to spend time at their houses and getting to know their families. There is always a language barrier, which makes things somewhat awkward at times, but learning to serve and care for another person only requires a loving heart and an open mind. And, of course, a great sense of humor and mad skills at Charades.

One of the great places Inga tracked down was an amusement park/zoo/swimming hole about 45 minutes outside Berlin. I loved it so much I took some of my American friends to check out a few days later. Here is a combination blog about those trips:

Abby was pretty terrified of this animal at first. It didn't help that I was also a little terrified :)


I love to swim and so does Abby. She is fearless, which freaks me out to no end. I can't stand near the water without being in it. I was a lifeguard for many years, and I've never been able to turn off that Baywatch instinct to scan the water around me for any signs of potential danger.

I'm not supposed to get Oliver's helmet wet so he got to hang out in my arms. I tried dangling his feet in the water but he would just lift them up and scream like a girl. He will not be a lifeguard.



The deer here are not afraid to get up in your business. This deer's horns have nothing on Oliver's helmet. I was waiting for Oliver to knock his socks off.

Inga and Abby rocked the zipline. Abby begged me to let her go alone. Um. No.

Abby spent about 15 minutes playing trick or treat at this playground window. She was giving out candy AND money so I was all over it.

My friend Kristen and I got pretty into the show Meerkat Manor. That's probably embarrassing to admit for some people but I'm pretty okay with being a serious dork. Embarrassing would be admitting that I cried nearly every episode, so I won't do that. In my defense, should that be the something I did admit, a meerkat died in nearly every episode. The sad part is, Kristen and I would discuss the show like the meerkats were really our friends and "did I hear the latest meerkat gossip." Seriously, there have been more than a few days where I've thought I really need to start working again.

They had a pile of American animals at their zoo, like this raccoon. This is no raccoon that I've ever seen. It's more like an anteater/dog. I think I would crap my pants if this was in my garbage. I did not give it any pasta or bread.


Oliver liked the wagon. He did not like being in the wagon with anyone else. Go figure.

Random dinosaur park. Enough said.



Round two -- horns versus helmet. Now taking bets.


5 comments:

Aunt Kim said...

That is a super cool place to visit! I loved all the pictures of you and the kids! Looks like you guys are enjoying some great weather over there! xoxox

Callicott Family said...

I absolutely love that picture of Abby in the water. You should blow it up BIG and frame it. That park looks awesome. I remember going to some park also called Freizeit Park way back in the day, but I'm guessing a lot of them are called that. Those Germans are so creative with the naming.

Jill said...

This looks awesome! And I agree with you - that raccoon looks positively evil.

The Doughracle said...

Helmets! They may not do the damage of horns, but they protect against them and can do incredible headbutts in response! :)
I was missing your posts! Glad you remembered there are other people in need of updates as well as Jeremy :)

Denna Le Lyman-Robertson said...

We have some great places to visit when I get there next summer. Keep a list!