Tuesday, June 09, 2009

K&D's Excellent Adventure

I am so excited to announce my next great adventure: hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu and whitewater rafting the Urubamba River. I've never been to Peru before and I am totally thrilled!

My travel partner is Kim Murphy, of course. You might recognize her from my India, Jordan and Israel trips. She has also come to visit me twice in Japan. We made a promise to meet up once a year and go somewhere to challenge ourselves and reconnect with the things we love the most -- good friends, adventure and a little bit of craziness.

This is us in Kyoto with Abbers.
Here we are in Israel at the Wailing Wall. Abbers is in my tummy.

Here Kim and I are kicking it behind the Taj Mahal in India.

It never feels real until we buy our airplane tickets and fully pay off the fees to our in-country organizations. Done and done. We've signed on the dotted line. All we need to now is get in shape. The Andes mountains aren't going to climb themselves!

Here is our Itinerary:

September
9th -- Leave Japan and arrive in DC
10th -- Spend the day catching up with friends in the Nation's Capital
11th -- Leave DC for Peru
12th -- Arrive in Peru and go sightseeing around Cuzco
13th -- Explore the Sacred Valley and Ollantaytambo
14th -- Hike the Inca Trail
15th -- Keep hiking the Inca Trail
16th -- And still hiking the Inca Trail
17th -- Arrive at Machu Picchu at sunrise. Explore. Take the train back to Cuzco.
18th -- Go whitewater rafting
19th -- Fly back to DC
20th -- Fly to Japan
21st -- Arrive in Japan and go home

I have the best husband in the world. He not only was more than willing to take the two weeks off to watch Abby, but he also convinced his mom to come over for the month of September to help him out. Needless to say, I love her more than words can say. I am so glad I will get to send some of that time with her as well. Jeremy has some fun plans for them while I am off. So fun, in fact, I'm not sure who got the better deal :)

Every day I thank my Heavenly Father for a husband that encourages me to try new things, to push the limits and values independence. I can only hope he understands that means the world to me. Although it will be sad to be apart from him and Abby, I fully appreciate this time to recharge my batteries, learn new things to share with them, and test my new body in this outdoor adventure.

Woo hoo Peru!

5 comments:

Sam Artuso said...

Im jealous. I have always wanted to go there. Its on my bucket list for sure. You're right! Your husband is awesome.

Callicott Family said...

Jealous! What a great trip. Maybe I need to plan an adventure without kids when we get back to the States...

Being Ausmus said...

Jealous and proud...you go girl:)! xoxo

Jessica said...

Holy awesome! Yay! Also, I hope you are planning on staying with us in DC!

Denna Robertson said...

I am not quite as adventurous as you and Kim, but I am being brave to fly by my self to Japan. I feel pretty proud about that! I am looking forward to spending time with your sweet family. You all are awesome!