Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Minus 40

I've had a ton of doctor's appointments lately and I always get stressed out when they ask the following question: how often do you exercise? I always answer: for an hour to an hour and a half six times a week. I am always expecting them to laugh at this point and then shoot me a crazy look. I certainly don't look like someone who works out that much and down deep I always think they must be laughing at me behind my back.

But last week I had an 'Aha Moment.' Something that changed the way I see my life and the things I am doing to improve it. Every doctor that took my blood pressure said: you must be a runner. This took me by surprise, but I laughed off and mentioned that I had been running about 10-15 miles a week for the past four months or so. Finally, after about four or five times of this, I finally asked: how do you know? The answer: you have a nice slow runner's heartbeat. I was so shocked and pleased that I teared up a little bit.

I've always been the funny one -- cute and friendly but chunky as all get out. I've never been the one with the "runner's heartbeat." I'm not where I want to be yet, but every day I am getting closer. It might not show on the tag on my pants, but it is written loud and clear across my heart and all throughout my body.

My dad loved to run. My older sister loves to run. I have so many friends and extended family who've laced up their shoes. I have so many wonderful examples of people who really take care of their bodies and are healthy and strong because of it. I also have great examples of people who are currently on the same emotional journey that I am. I want to be that person for both myself and someone else who needs the motivation.

I have now lost 40 pounds. I'm more than halfway through my journey. Only 30 more pounds to go.

Here are a few snapshots of where I am and where I've come from. I look forward to the future with a joyful and hopeful heart -- a runner's heart.



Here is a fun photo of me and my dad.

I was a track and field champion in public school. The last thing I needed was this cheesecake, which I ate mostly by myself.
I also didn't need the $250 in Omaha Steaks I won for Regis and Kelly.
Here I am being funny while interning at the Late Show.
Rocking in scrubs -- the only comfortable clothes at this point -- at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Getting fitted for my C-Pap machine. I had to wear it when I slept because my neck was so fat I stopped breathing during the night.

Here I am on a beach in Cozumel. I can't believe I wore a bathing suit!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Denise! You are changing your life and your heart. I am so inspired by you and love your runner's heart!

Aunt Kim said...

I think you should be making money off the stories you write about in your blog. They are very well written, interesting, creative and funny. I really enjoy reading them and keeping up-to-date on your life in Japan. Congratulations on your discipline and weightloss. You are definitely an inspiritation! Love you!

Holly said...

Denise, I wished you lived next to me so you could help motivate me to become healthy. I totally cried reading this post. You go girl!

Anonymous said...

I am SO proud of you, Denise! You are such an amazing person inside AND out. You are looking better than ever too. I need to have the motivation and discipline that you have. I open my closet everyday and see my wedding dress hanging up and think "man... I need to get ready for the big day" But you know us mexicans. Everything is "maƱana" haha. Thanks for such an amazing blog. It was just what I needed :)

Eden said...

you are inspiring me Denise!! I've been semi-training for a race in August--now I want to kick it in high gear and actually RACE the race--not just finish. Thank you for sharing your story, it makes me feel closer to you--I love you!

Denna Robertson said...

Denise, you look great!! You are beautiful inside and out.

Being Ausmus said...

I am so proud of you Denise. You are an inspiration...and you are beautiful. I love you!