Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Inca Trail -- Day Four

My day four started at 3 AM. I was seriously tired and feeling super sore from yesterday. There was nothing to do but put on my 'fun' hats and get to trekking. I was super excited to get to Machu Picchu!

Kim's day also started at 3 AM. Unfortunately, Kim's throat was rubbed raw and her sinuses were completely jacked. Her eye was totally puffed up and running non stop down her face. She could no longer see out of that eye at all.

Let's write a 'happy' list of things Kim woke up to -- afraid of heights and we're camping on the side of a mountain, slight vertigo, leaving at 3 AM so we're trekking in the dark, can only see out of one eye, it's been raining all night so everything is slick and wet, Kim forgot her head torch, etc. I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Needless to say, Kim sucked it up -- much better than I would have -- and we started the final climb to the hidden Inca city of Machu Picchu.
It's so fun to sit like a llama.

Could it possibly be....?

Here was our first view of Machu Picchu.

I'd take Kim's eye patch over my face breaking out like a teenager. Seriously.
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu

Kim was able to see the doctor. Her throat infection turned into a sinus infection, which eventually turned into conjunctivitis in her eye. This was followed a day later by explosive diarrhea and vomiting.

In all honesty, I still had diarrhea and vomiting for six days after I got home as well. I am also going on day four of a stiff neck.

And somehow I now have dandruff. What's up with that?

Anyhow....
Machu Picchu

This is the final shot of our group. We came, we saw and we TOTALLY conquered. We may be down an eye, but we've crossed off one more goal off our bucket list.

Does life get any better than this?

2 comments:

Being Ausmus said...

Amazing...totally amazing!!! I'm speechless...well done friend well done!

Anonymous said...

Poor Kim! She's such a trooper!