Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Inca Trail -- Day Three

Day three started out with a jolly hike up and then about six hours of nearly straight down. Down is not my favorite. It tears apart your hamstrings and you have to work the crap out of your core to keep your body upright. It probably wouldn't stink so bad if I had abs instead of a muffin top.

This is a fun little village we pasted on the way.

Here I am violating the Code of Ethics and sitting on the Inca wall. Bad form makes for a great picture. It rained for most of the night so it was still all misty and cold when we ventured out this morning.


This is where we entered the high jungle rain forest. The temperature was so much better than the blazing sun of the earlier trail. I'm pretty used to being moist all the time -- as disgusting as that sounds -- from the Japanese humidity.

I was perched on a seriously unstable ledge to get this shot. I hope it was worth it.

Kimmy :)


Kim's eye started to hurt a little while after we took this photo. She already had a sore throat and her allergies were really kicking into high gear. The hikers in front of us were kicking up some dust and we were pretty certain that's what was causing her eye to puff out and run.

I look like I'm hiking in the Alps. Maybe next year.
More Inca ruins.

Artsy shots of Inca ruins.

Inca ruins that look like a shield.


Stick a fork in Kim; she's done! Notice how red her nose/eye/mouth is. Looking good.

We had about an hour more to hike at this point. Kim went right to the tent and off to bed. I stayed up and had dinner. The porters made us a fabulous last supper, complete with a cake they made over the fire.

Sometime during the night Kim went out of the bathroom and she came back to me stretched all over the tent. I had somehow crawled over to her sleeping bag and was drooling all over her backpack. Needless to say, she was pretty happy that was our last night in the tent together.

1 comment:

Being Ausmus said...

Strange I always liked it when you drooled on my pillow...Kim is so not understanding:) I loved this day...I loved the muffin top comment...still giggling...as if! And I love all the amazing pictures you got. Just amazing!!!