Thursday, February 18, 2010

Two Lions and a Doggie

Abby and I have been having a standoff over this photo of Daniel in the Lion's Den. She is convinced that the picture has two lions and a doggie in it. She's also convinced that the "doggie" is a Beth dog. I'm pretty certain it is three lions. She gets super MAD when I try to correct her, so I'm probably going to have to change the lion's den to lioggie's den in all our scriptures. If we're going to have scriptures then they might as well be accurate.

Speaking of scriptures, we're using the money Grandma Robertson sent for Abby's birthday to buy these awesome posters for her room:



Speaking of all things spiritually, we've decided to bend Lent a little this year and add something instead of take something away. This year we're determined to eat a healthy, hearty round of vegetables with dinner for the next 40 days. Now that I think about it, I'm sacrificing the room I would have saved for dessert so it should really count. Sweet justice.

Today we studied 1st Samuel 25 in our PWOC class. It is the story of Abigail. I loved it so much I thought I would share it below. I had no idea this story existed when we named her Abby. We love the West Wing and there is a main character named Abigail – we heard it on the show and could both agree we liked it. I went on a pilgrimage to Israel when I was six months pregnant with Abby and I thought it was cool she was getting a Hebrew name to celebrate that. We also loved the meaning: father’s joy, which is exactly what she has been.

We’ve decided not to talk about names until we find out what sex the baby is next week. We’ll have a throw down at that point. I’m also interested in seeing what my sister names my niece or nephew who is coming a month earlier than our bundle of joy. We’ll have to work around her leftovers J. Any suggestions?

1st Samuel 25 – In My Own Words

Abigail was a woman of good understanding and of a beautiful countenance. She was married to a rich man named Nabal who was churlish and evil in his doings. He had many sheep and goats.
David spent time with Nabal’s sheep shears and watched over his flocks while he was near Carmel. Even though David had many troops with him, they never once took any sheep from Nabal.

David sent some of his men to ask Nabal for some food and supplies since they were short. David had about 4000 men with him. Nabal basically said, “who is this David kid and why should I bother?”

So David told his men to get all their gear; they were going to teach Nabal a lesson and kill all the male members of his household.

One of the servants off Nabal came to alert Abigail of her husband’s wrongdoing. He told her that David came to Nabal out of respect and that Nabal shunned him without good reason. David was very good unto them, didn’t hurt them, and provided a wall of safety day and night while the shepherds watched the fields. David was asking for so little in return.

Without her husband knowing, Abigail quickly went to David with 200 loaves, two bottles of wine, five sheep already dressed, five measures of parched corn and a hundred clusters of raisins and two hundred cakes of figs. With this token of respect at his feet, she pleaded for the males in her family.

She was courageous in disobeying her husband’s wishes, and valiant in honoring good. David was so impressed with Abigail that he married her after her husband died (a week later he was struck down by the Lord.)

Love it. Totally love it.

4 comments:

Jill May said...

Love the posters. I was thinking of getting the top one too! And Abigail is a special name. Good luck with the next one!

Jessica said...

Great post! Good luck convincing Abby about all of the lions! HOw exciting that you find out the sex next week! What is your prediction? If you want veggie ideas, I'd be happy to send some but let me just say this: ROASTED. Roast any veggies and you'll love them.

Aunt Kim said...

I think the posters are a little creepy, except for the first one which is peaceful and uplifting. What's wrong with farm animals? Are you going to pick two top ten names again for baby #2? I will keep a list for you. What about Brooke?

Eden said...

And that's why you don't mess with the Lord's annointed. I really love the posters--where are they from? I have several unused baby names that are up for grabs-- I'll try to remember them all then let you know:)