Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Things on my Mind

What's been running through my mind the past two weeks? Obviously, all things Japan. Every now and then other things crept in as well. Here are some of them.....

Abby was dead certain that she colored this picture, even though it has Linus' name on the top. She regularly steals other kids work and claims it as her own. I'd give this burglarized artwork a B-.

You know that Abby takes after me when she flips over her coloring sheet and makes "lists" of things she needs to do on the back of her paper. It was really fun having her talk about what she drew and how it made her feel. I love that she has a can-do spirit about her -- always jamming her day full of things she wants to accomplish. Mad props for her organization!

Abby's new morning passion is a glass of milk and a nutella sandwich. Not the healthiest, but totally enjoyable. That being said, isn't a nutella sandwich just a white trash version of a chocolate croissant? Would I be classing-it-up by taking the crusts off?

Oliver had another doctor's appointment the other day. As we were waiting, a young mom came in with a baby (about 1.5) with a this-can't-even-be-real-it's-so-huge goose egg sticking out of her head. I don't speak German, but what I got out of the conversation was that the child got hurt at her kita and the lady brought her in to be looked at. The lady was clearly panicked, and her child was clearly in trouble.

Seconds after the nurse left to go get the doctor, the baby started projectile vomiting all over the waiting room. The mom was doing everything she could to try to calm the baby down and keep the puke somewhat contained. I immediately stopped breastfeeding Oliver and ran to the front desk to get the nurse.

I followed the nurse back into the room and witnessed the doctor telling her to go to the ER. After standing around for a few minutes, I realized that I didn't put my breast back into my nursing bra and I was just standing there holding Oliver with my milky boob hanging out for the world to see. Awesome. I guess I really have turned European.


I was so engrossed with the book To Kill a Mockingbird that I spent a whole afternoon reading it while sitting on a large pile of laundry and feeding/playing with Oliver with one hand. Yup, best mom ever.

Dear Oliver: It's time you learned to sit up, push up on your tummy, make some effort to crawl, and eat more solid foods. The doctor said 50% of your problem is in your head and that if you really wanted to do it your muscles are now strong enough. Unless you want me to start spending your college money on weekly massages for my super sore back from carrying you around all day, you better get your "sit on" ASAP. Love, Mom.

P.S -- I'll actually put something in that cup when you make the above mentioned changes. Until then, enjoy your air snack.

P.P.S -- I can't get enough of your chubby cheeks and adorable much-rounder head. Ugh. I just can't say no to you. I'd carry you around forever if you really wanted it :)




I love that 3 out of 4 of my "kids" are Saturday lazy bum nappers. I covet nap time.

This is what I did the day I found out about the earthquake in Japan -- updated my 72 hour kits and food storage.

Oliver was kind enough to test out the emergency knife and radio.

He is SO happy we are prepared.

We tried to do a trial run for Abby's pictures on Wednesday. I see we've mastered the badger look...

The caught by surprise look....

And the cringe look....

Max is obsessed with Oliver and his helmet. He always puts his on whenever Oliver comes to visit. Oliver is obsessed with anything Max plays with. He's the coolest. It's hard to tell in the video, but Max is "fake" knocking on Ollie's helmet. No children were harmed in this video.


8 comments:

Eden said...

Thanks for the catch-up. I've been really missing you guys lately (the best of friends are hard to come by!) How was the base that you lived at in Japan effected by all the disasters? Are your friends all safe? I hope you're taking care of yourself, wish I could come over and give you a break! BTW, let me know when the paternity test comes back for Abby because its not like she looks EXACTLY like a mini/female Jeremy or anything :)

Aunt Kim said...

Cute! Cute! Cute! Loved the WHOLE blog especially the little video at the end! Crazy story about the breast hanging out pointing at everyone! I sure do hope that tiny baby with the head injury was okay! On my first mother's day Reese managed to pull a wicker piece of furniture over on herself and also received a nasty bump on her head. Nothing like feeling like the worse mom ever on my 1st Mother's Day! xo

Jeremy said...

They just get cuter and cuter with each passing day! It is pretty amazing how much both my kids look just like me; no paternity test required here but do they have such things as maternity tests??? Other than the curls and brown eyes, they look nothing like their mother. Sorry babe, you must have the weaker genes!

Cassandra Hill said...

Love the story about the doctor's office! So funny (not laughing about the baby - hope she is okay)!
I also love the picture of you on the bed with the laundry!

Denna Le Lyman-Robertson said...

I was just thinking the same thing everyone is saying. Wow. Those Kids look like Jeremy! But the list thing is definitely Denise (and Grandma).
Love the pictures from Djibouti. I would hate to live there. Makes the Salt Flats look appealing.

Jessica said...

Oh my goodness! The milky boob hanging out is my fave! That poor baby babe needed a hospital. Sorry about Japan. I love your baby babes.

Sommer Family said...

Your posts always make me laugh. I love the picture practices and the Saturday naps, not to mention the one of you and To Kill a Mocking Bird. You should start charging. I'd totally pay to read your blog!

The Doughracle said...

I can't imagine that your life ever gets dull, between your two awesomely cute kids, your own hysterical sense of humor and living abroad, I only wish we were neighbours. Are you guys getting sent back to China anytime soon?