Friday, May 07, 2010

A First Look / Random Thoughts

We ventured out and about yesterday to see some of the historical buildings around our hotel.

This is a performing arts center (opera and symphonies):

Abby clearly wants to go to this university.

Here must be an old knowledgeable dude.

I love the old buildings and jazzed-up window frames and balconies.


We have no idea what this pretty building is.

Jeremy had to stop Abby from running on the road in front of this building. She was seriously mad we didn't let her become road jam. The mean things parents do.

We were about a minute late from meeting this clearly influential French person. I love to watch motorcade protection guard important people. It brings me back to my days in DC. I'm all over political drama.

Random thoughts about Germany:

This is day three for us in Berlin and I've seen about five kids. I have no idea where they are all hiding. It might be possible that Berliners just birth out their kids at age eight. It might also be possible that they don't have kids anymore because most people here seem appalled that we have one. I've never gotten more nasty looks or shocked stares. This is even more concerning as Abby has been INCREDIBLY good for the past few days. Wait until she has a bad day; we might just be deported.

The food here is delicious. I think I've already ate my weight in Kinder Eggs, Haribo gummi bears and Nutella. Pregnant people with cravings should not be allowed to move here. I'm also brimming with joy that there is such a huge Turkish population here. I could eat doners every day of the week. Fan-freakin-tastic.

I'm a little disappointed that people in Europe smoke just as much as people in Japan. It's so weird to see kids smoking and drinking right out in the open. It's not like teenagers don't drink in other countries, but we're not quite so obvious about it. At least I didn't think I was :)

7 comments:

Jill May said...

Beautiful! Wonderful! Jealous! I LOVE Doner Kebabs!! Eat a million for me!!!! And get extra sauce!!!

Cassandra Hill said...

It looks beautiful Denise - what an adventure!

Sarah said...

WOW...it looks BEAUTIFUL!! And I'm right with you with the kinder eggs (have you had kinder buenos?), nutella, haribo gummy bears and doners...except without the cravings. I wish I had the excuse of being pregnant to indulge in all the gourmet goodness of Europe :0) And have you ever seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? Maybe there is a child snatcher in town! In any cases, best wishes with Abby and the Germans :0)

Callicott Family said...

I love Germany! I do think you'll see more kids away from Berlin, but my experience in Germany is from twenty years ago (yikes). Try their salads (esp. cucumber) - really refreshing in the summer. I'm jealous - have fun exploring!

Also, no one in the world is as accomodating of kids as the Japanese (well, pretty much people in all Asian countries, I think). It was an adjustment just moving back to the States. Oh well. You have a baby. They will have to deal!

Allison said...

Ahh....beautiful architecture is one of the things i miss most here! I love Kinder eggs! There have been times that I want to travel to Europe just for the Kinder eggs :) Soak it all up an enjoy!

Cathy said...

Maybe you will meet some families with kids at church - that's always my best hope...........

Being Ausmus said...

Lol...Denise...YOU WERE THAT OBVIOUS ABOUT IT:)!!! Tee hee...hilarious that Abby is such a oddity there...oh the adventure has begun:)!!!