Saturday, May 08, 2010

Simply Heaven

Jeremy and I did a lot of research before we moved to Berlin. We wanted to make sure we moved into a neighbourhood with lots of history and culture, good preschools, that was close to church and Jeremy's work, and safe. We knew we wanted to hit the ground running on the house hunt ASAP. Via the Internet, we narrowed it down to one area: Zehlendorf.

Today we went to visit our new hood. We left the subway station and entered a world of farmers markets, children, dogs without leashes, cobble stone and tree-lined roads, houses with histories, street vendors and musicians, friendly faces eager to give a "guten tag" and delightful speciality stores and delis. In one word: HEAVEN.

We have some great leads on houses for rent; although I'm tempted to buy and stay forever.

Here is a small sample of the beautiful houses (most clearly out of our price range):





I can't wait to live on street like this:


There are super awesome trails that connect the neighborhoods together. This city is perfect for biking and walking.

This is one happy husband.

I'm obsessed with farmer's markets and street vendors.

Abby thoroughly enjoyed the ice cream.

Abby could barely handle all the excitement and needed to sleep off some of the joy.

Creamy dips, fresh bread and olives = happy days.

8 comments:

Marguerite said...

Meine Gutte! seeing those photos bring back so many memories of my years in German, I would give anything to move back there FOREVER! Take advantage of living in the outskirts of town, that is where you will be happiest. I am so jealous, I can't even tell you.

Essen mit Spass!!!!! Have a few kindereggs for me, not to mention a box of Neggerkusses.

Libby said...

Love Abby's pouty face in that one pic with Jeremy. What beautiful homes and architecture! Lucky family!!

Being Ausmus said...

Oh my goodness, heaven is right!!! On second thought maybe you don't have to take too much time house hunting!!! Just gorgeous!!!

The Doughracle said...

Man oh man! Beijing is great but no way as beautiful as Germany! Yikes, when can we come and visit? :)
Good luck with the house hunt, I'm sure you'll find something lovely and hope all goes well with settling in and setting up home.

Crystal said...

It's so beautiful! I'm so jealous! I want to move to Europe! I can't wait for a tour of your new home...so go find it dangit.

Callicott Family said...

Looks awesome!

Holly said...

wow! that looks like such a fun place! i will definitely need to come over.

Anonymous said...

WOW! It's so beautiful there! I so wish I could come visit you guys. I love cobble streets (except when wearing heels lol)