Monday, May 31, 2010

Heaven or Hell

I have been using the Berlin Friedrichstrasse train station for the past month and never once stopped to think about its amazing history. It is one of the largest and most central stations in Berlin. This station not only connects most of the subway lines in the city, but it also is the main starting point for train travel outside of Berlin.

This train station was where children were either boarded to leave the country and taken to freedom or fatally shuttled away to concentration camps. The amazing buildings that I have been so casually snapping photos of along the tracks for weeks now would have been the last few things they saw of Berlin as they traveled to their fate. I can’t help but wonder how they must have been feeling and who was there to comfort them. It’s just simply heartbreaking.


This Memorial Day, I am so grateful for the men and women who risk their lives defending the freedoms I take for granted. I am in awe of the sacrifices they (and their families) make. While living on a military base for the past four years, I have seen soldiers kiss their loved ones and leave for battle. I have seen them return home and try to catch up on all the wonderful moments they have missed. They are so brave and ask for so little.

Because of the amazing things that they do, I was able to ride the subway with my family tonight and not have to worry if the train was taking us to heaven or hell.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

8 comments:

Libby said...

Thumbs up!! Well said Denise. Also to see and ride those rails would be a surreal experience.

Sommer Family said...

What we take for granted! Great post!

Eden said...

That wasn't even that long ago-- how could that happen? Not to get too political, but I have to say that its a good darn thing when America gets involved in defending freedom. BTW, did you ever read the Book Thief? I can't remember if I asked you--if not, its a MUST READ!

Crystal said...

Heartbreaking indeed.

Jena said...

Wow. That really gave me goosebumps. We are so blessed. So So blessed.

Denna Le Lyman-Robertson said...

I read a short book about a German Jewish child and her family and their sufferings in the WW2 conflic in Europe. What a nightmare.

Telitaadams said...

Amen, sister. A great post for Memorial Day and a good tribute to those who suffered through it all. I love our veterans and those who fought alongside them. For me, Berlin really makes history come alive.

Being Ausmus said...

So sad...great post!