Saturday, May 02, 2009

The Secret Garden

My friend Jena gave me the book The Secret Garden for Christmas last year. I totally love her book recommendations because I either end up loving the book or I don't like it but it sparks intense thought or conversation. I never feel like I wasted my time reading something she likes. The Secret Garden was no exception.

I love nature, but everything I touch in it dies. This year I was determined to plant something and make it grow. I'm going to learn to love weeding, watering and planting. My house is going to bloom and blossom with all of God's wonderful plants and flowers.

Now let me be honest -- I totally invited my neighbour Kristen to help me plan out the garden. She is a landscape genius and has the care of every plant memorized. She let me know what flowers need sun, when and how much to water them, and what blooms when. She took everything I did and rearranged it. My garden would already be dead if she didn't intervene and save the day. You should see the awesomeness that is her garden; if it was a competition I'd be on the losing team.

Here are some snapshots of the floral goodness that is 91-4A Sagami Depot. Be jealous. Oh, so jealous.

This is Abby's safari bench that I picked up last weekend. I can't wait for us to sit here and read this summer.

Notice I have flowers and herbs growing. I even have a freaking lime tree. Snap! This girl has game.

This patio is ready for some mad parties. I can't wait for Jeremy to fire up the smoker -- AKA garbage can remix -- and make some killer pulled pork.
How do you know the soil and fertilizer is optimal for growing flowers? Have your child test it out and then wait to see if she 'flourishes.' Abby is getting the tools ready for sampling in the photo below.
Here she is sampling directly from the original source.
Then she tried the dirty dirt from the flowerbed.

Then she laid it in and rolled around. She's alive -- so I say plant on.

10 comments:

Jill May said...

I am sooo jealous!! It really looks fantastic!

Holly said...

Wow now you can teach me. It looks so good and I am jealous.

heidizinha said...

i just started reading the secret garden this week! ha!

we love working in our yard now and planting things. it is super gratifying, and i feel like i learn so much every year. i can't wait until i can do vegetables too!

Jessica said...

Nice work Denise!

Being Ausmus said...

Awesome! Your garden is beautiful!!! I laughed when you said that she rearranged everything you organized! So funny! She definitely knows what she was talking about...like you said you even have a FREAKIN LIME TREE!!!! Snap!!!!
Its also great that Abby survived...yay Abby! Way to take one for the team:)!!!!
You know Denise you're a pretty impressive girl...training for a half marathon, planting gardens, traveling the world, awesome mom, awesome wife...you do it all!!! I'm inspired by you!!! xo

Sommer Family said...

You should win the Depot Rebeautification award! Tell Kristin to please come rearrange my flowers too, and remind me to introduce you to the musical of The Secret Garden.

A Friend's Perspective said...

So beautiful - both the flowers and the dirty girl!! I'm a huge advocate of getting dirty. It develops character. :)

The Johnsons said...

Some day I will have a garden...and I really hope someday I have a friend like Kristen to show me the ropes. Your pictures are always so fantastic--is photography a hobby of yours, and does Jeremy still get into it as well?

Eden said...

Your yard looks so nice-- I need a few tips (and mostly, some weed removal) I wish we could come over for some Jeremy original BBQ!

Jena said...

I'm so glad you liked the book! I am always intimidated to recommend books to you. You are way smarter than I can ever hope to be so I should just stick to kids books and hope it is at least entertaining.

Love the garden! Especially love Abby in the garden!