Thursday, December 31, 2009

Can You Answer These Questions?

I had an interesting conversation with a friend last week about picking a church to attend. I thought it was important to pick a church based on whether or not you agreed with their docterine and philosphies. My friend thought it was important to pick one close to your house that had nice people. She was convinced that most churches (Baptists, Protestants, Anglicans, etc) all basically taught the same things so it didn't really matter which one you attended.

For some reason this conversation has made me crazy, so I went ahead and wrote the 11 most important things I would want to know if I ever switched churches. Here it is:

1. Where does your church stand on moral contemporary issues (abortion, divorce, homosexuality, women clergy, etc)? Do they support any political affiliation?

2. What community organizations does your church support with either money or time?

3. What sort of qualifications do you have for your clergy?

4. What is the financial breakdown of your church? What percentage goes to salaries, building costs, church programs, community donations, charities, etc?

5. How does a member of your church receive personal revelation (answer to prayers)?

6. What fellowship programs do you have so members get to know and serve each other?

7. What classes or programs do you have to help me better understand the scriptures and your interpretation of them?

8. How are your weekly sermons created? Are they set topics or lead by personal inspiration?

9. How are you helping instill Gospel truths to the children of the church? What particular milestones are there for them and how are you helping prepare them to meet those deadlines?

10. What is your church doctrine on the judgment and the Atonement? How are we saved? How are we judged? How would you describe Heaven? What happens to those you don’t make it there?

11. Why should I attend your church over another domination – Baptist, Protestant, Mormon, Islam, etc? What sets you apart and why is it true?

It would be great to hear your thoughts and opinons on the topic. What draws you to the chruch you attend and why do you stay there? What questions would you want answered if you switched denominations? Could you answer the questions I posed above with certainity?

2 comments:

Holly said...

Interesting topic. Even though I have grown up all my life with one particular religion, I think it comes down to me feeling like it makes me a better person, helps me understand who I am and what I am doing here, and I have come to more fully know my Savior.

sly said...

I think the most important thing to ask is "What is true to God?" I know that when I went on my quest to find that answer, I visited many churches and I do not believe there should be clergy or a religious school finding the answers. The answers need to come from God and when you ask Him sincerely what is true to Him, He will answer and then you will find His truth and church.