Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Holy Guacamole

I love my sister, Kim. Let that be known before I make fun of her.

Kim is what one might call a nuggets-and-fries kind of girl. It’s an eating out staple in an extreme way. It’s not about the price; It’s all about the taste. The bland, deep-fried, crispy-on-the-outside-dry-on-the-inside flavor. Sometimes she’ll branch out to a chicken burger, which is basically a chicken nugget on a bun. She's not fooling anyone. She won’t eat anywhere ethnic or try anything new she can't pronounce. If she can’t see a nuggets and fries somewhere on her plate – she ain’t eating it.

Keeping my sister Kim in mind, I have been experimenting with Abby’s foods as soon as they would let me. I hope this will ensure she has a nice, varied palate. Spices, ethnic fruits and veggies, sauces, dressings, breads, curries – if it won’t kill her, we serve it up with a smile.

Today’s new food was guacamole. It started out promising, and then her inner Aunt Kim came out.

"First, I authentically mash the guacamole to a puree."

"Second, I smear the guacamole from the spoon all over my chin for later."
"Third, I play peak-a-boo with the bowl while I silently lick the mush with my tongue."

"Fourth, I use it to paint a delightful picture on the kitchen table."

"Last, I hold the bowl to my heart in the hope I'll never have to eat it again."

Abby: I could really use some nuggets and fries right now.....

5 comments:

Sarah said...

That's awesome! As Abby gets older you'll have to let me know how her taste buds have turned out and give me tips for Brie :0)

Crystal said...

Ainsley loves guacamole! You should hear her say it, it's hilarious because she puts a big ol' emphasis on the "mole" part.

I tried the same thing you did. But sadly...there are stages where they just don't like anything. I thought it was me, but it really is just a "I'm a kid who is using food as a way to exert independence stage." Ainsley used to eat kimchi, spicy tex mex etc, but now she hates them. I'm hoping she'll grow out of it.


As for storks nest...oh you silly lady. I don't like chili's...and I don't like sitting in a room with nothing to do with my 3 year old. At least at home we have preschool and wifi. I see the purpose of Stork's Nest if your labors are short, or if it's your first baby. But for me? Not a thing I want to do. :P

Anonymous said...

What is guacamole??? I can't even spell it, I had to look at "Crystal's comment." This is the year I learn to cook. Greg and I do not eat out anymore. We are attempting to cut costs and it is too much effort to buddle up Reese with our Canadian winters or arrange our parents to babysit. We try to save them for important occasions e.g. appointments, volunteering events. . . So far I have learned to cook a variety of soups, chili, and chocolate chip cookies. Greg and I do eat M &M chicken fingers which are delicious! Pam and I in the fall/winter were on a real Big Mac kick. They are so good every now and then! Abby would love them!

Holly said...

I absolutely love reading your blog! I wish my life wasn't so boring!

Libby said...

Good for you for trying the different foods. I laughed when I read about Kim's preference as the last time that I ate out with her, she had....chicken fingers and fries. :)