Friday, January 22, 2010

Things About Me

Normally my blog is dedicated to all things Abby, so I thought it might be nice to let you know what I’m up to. Hopefully Jeremy will send his updates along later this weekend. Today he is at the woodshop playing with saws and welding tools. He such a man’s man J :)

Hello, David.

2010 brings a fresh new Beth Moore bible study with my PWOC group. This semester we are studying David. I am so excited to learn his story. I am so thankful there is no eschatology in David. The prophecies in Daniel made my head spin. Beth Moore gave us the Baptist view of eschatology, then we learned some of the Protestant views, and then I had to cross reference that with what the LDS manual teaches. YIKES. Regardless of which is true, I’m certainly well educated and prepared for almost all of the end-of-the-world scenarios.

Biology – Good Riddance!


Yesterday I completed my biology exam and said goodbye to science forever. I dreaded taking human biology, but I’m super proud that I finally finished that stupid class and did pretty awesome in it. I did my final thesis on whether bariatric surgery was an effective tool for fighting the obesity epidemic. At least that was interesting. My next class I’m going to take is introductory German.

Last month I had my Canadian college transcripts converted and transferred to the University of Maryland. I was thrilled so many credits were accepted. Now I really need to focus on my major (political science) and minor (Emergency Management) and hammer this thing out. I’m hoping to get a job at a place like FEMA or the Red Cross.

My Bags are Packed

So we should be flying off to Germany this week and starting our new life in Europe. Alas, I write this from my couch with no airline ticket in hand and no hope in sight. We are now guessing we’ll see new land (with a week stopover in DC) around the end of March.

Being in limbo is SO annoying. I’m trying my hardest to keep a good attitude and I’m focusing on practicing patience. I know there is a time and a season for everything; I just need to find out why this season is dragging on for so dang long.

Good Reads

I am just starting a new five-book series called: Percy Jackson & the Olympians. I haven’t heard anything about it, but my friend Christy recommended them. You’ll have to let me know if you read then and what you thought of them.

That’s all from me. Send me your news. I love getting updates on all the wonderful things you’re doing. I miss you all!

Love, Denise

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Still waiting on Germany, eh? Best wishes with that...and way to go with getting your schooling done. I'm impressed.

Sommer Family said...

Super impressed with all you do, like always. I think you should come to El Paso while you wait for Germany. I promise the time will pass pleasantly!

Brandi said...

Hi,

You have no idea who I am--I happened upon you through a link on Crystal C.'s blog.

I'm just curious what your thesis conclusion was? I had Roux en Y gastric bypass just over a year ago. I lost 155 pounds, came off insulin completely (I was on 500 units a day!), am off all but half a dose of oral diabetic meds. I'm off blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds, too. I started a 6 day a week exercise regimen and am about to be nationally certified as a personal trainer. So, obviously I think it could be a remedy to the obesity epidemic (of course I think finding a way to stop it from happening rather than treating it once it occurs would be better).

Also, we lived in Germany for nearly 5 years and loved it. really, really loved it. We were in Mannheim. Good luck!

Eden said...

love the update! Sorry you're still waititng on Germany--that really stinks :( maybe you can swing an extra layover in Utah on the way????

Callicott Family said...

Hope you get to Germany soon. The wait at the end is hard for everyone. I just saw a trailer for the movie version of the book you are reading (directed by my uncle's cousin!) - something to look forward to after you finish the book. If it's any good, of course.

Crystal said...

Don't trust that Brandi lady. She's nuts. XD

Jessica said...

Still in limbo? I hate it! We want you to visit NOW and move to Germany the next day! See ya Japan!

Being Ausmus said...

Great post Denise...I love how busy you keep yourself with such positive uplifting educational things. You are so inspiring. Love you to pieces! xo

A Friend's Perspective said...

Yay for Denise! Not the waiting part that is, but welcome to semi-military life!

We LOVED Germany, and hope you will to. The Gyros are to die for, as well as the pomme fritz (french fries). They have their own french fry salt that is so yummy. As a matter of fact, I may have you send me some!

Yay for UMUC! I feel like you're following in my footsteps!

We LOVED the Percy Jackson series. They are MUCH better read aloud though. They are hilarious!

Hang in there. Find something fun to do, like starting to translate menus. Remember, olives on pizzas come with pits, pepperoni means whole peppers, and in general, pizza is NOT good. But see my first paragraph for food details!

Love ya!

Denna Le Lyman-Robertson said...

I am so impressed with all the things you are accomplishing!

Telitaadams said...

Well, it looks like Germany is in sight! Congrats on finishing bio!

Anonymous said...

Denise, I wish I could accomplish HALF of what you do. You're such a superwoman!

We LOVED Germany. I miss it sometimes. My grandparents came to visit us one time and we went to see all the castles and ate all sorts of yummy foods. Grandpa still tries to recreate those german potatoes haha. Silly man.

As for Percy Jackson... I haven't read the series (yet) but all the kids at work and my 10 year old cousin say the books are amazing! I saw the preview for the movie that's coming out and it looks REALLY GOOD! I'm going to have to start reading them too :)

Jena said...

I love hearing what you are doing. It always inspires me to get this brain of mine working. It needs a good tune up!