Friday, March 16, 2012

The Big Four

Jeremy was deployed for Abby's last birthday and I didn't feel comfortable throwing a big shindig, so instead I took a family that we liked to the circus. It was easy and fun. This year I wanted to do something with her kita friends, as she has now been to two of their parties each and we haven't returned the favor. 

I decided that we would invite all the girls in her class and one from church -- 11 in total. They don't speak English and I don't speak German, but that's not a problem because Jeremy would be home. Or so I thought. He had to leave for a last-minute work trip on the big day and left me really  angry stressed out trying to put up decorations and figure out how I'm going to communicate with 11 active children. 

Thankfully, I have the best friends ever -- the whole Flanagan family who came and helped with the decorations and Inga, who is bilingual and had a daughter already coming to the party and offered to translate. I literally would have lost it without them. They were the dream team. 





We had an ice cream bar and cupcakes for snacks. 


Susanne made the most delicious cupcakes for the big day.


I ordered in a ton of American goodies for the treat bags. They were a big hit.



The kids had fun playing Put the Tiara on the Princess. Abby had a meltdown shortly after this game because I wouldn't let them go upstairs and play in her room. Our stairs are pretty steep and I didn't want to have to take anyone to the ER. 



I'm really not a fan of opening up presents at birthday parties -- the kids all end up fighting. They overrode me and each grabbed the present they brought and opened it up. I ended up putting them immediately in a laundry basket and hiding them in my room. They are still there.



We had plenty of princess dresses for them to wear.


We also had a station for making your own princess crown.


We ended the evening by putting the children on the couch and turning on Dora. The parents came about 5 minutes later and were shocked how well-behaved the children were being. Oh, how fooled they were. 


5 comments:

Aunt Kim said...

You sure know how to throw a party. You make everything look so easy. Reese wishes she could have celebrated Abby's 4th birthday with her. Grandma will have to bring presents with her. Happy Birthday Abbster!

Sarah said...

Wow, ELEVEN kids! I'm way impressed with or without Jeremy being in town. Way to brave the kiddies :0) And loved all the activities... Brie would have been in heaven!

Callicott Family said...

Love all your Oriental Trading swag. Lottie is having a knights and princesses party with Adam for her birthday. They are all so original. Looks like an awesome party!

Jessica said...

I hate that you were on your own for something you thought would be accompanied by a spouse! Arg. Glad you had such great friends come to your aid. The decorations were beautiful and the ideas fabulous! Well Done and happy 4th!!!

Denna Le Lyman-Robertson said...

You are the best mom ever!