Monday, March 19, 2012

Budapest -- Day Four

I love how they make your breakfast sandwiches in Budapest. 


We were always catching Rachel making out on this trip.


The intellectuals in Budapest would meet up in cafes and discuss little things like the revolution. Clearly, it was the place to be and so we were there.




We all had a little meltdown because they seated us at 11 and didn't come to get our order until 11:30 -- when they stopped serving breakfast. We all had something from the breakfast menu that we were dying to have, but the sandwiches were turned out to be divine. Totally worth all the hassle.



The people in Budapest are shockingly nice. This man took our picture, followed us to the stop we were talking about, walked us over to the tourist attraction, and then wished us well. Sort of stalker-ish but also pretty classy. 


This is another famous bath.


They have to vent the hot air out of the ground all over this area. That grate on top was blistering hot to touch. I touched it, of course.




I stole this from my friend's blog: This castle was built in 1896 for Hungary's millennial celebration.  It shows the different architectural styles of Hungary's most famous buildings, which we don't know anything about, but it was just fun to walk through and take pictures. 

As soon as we got to this castle we heard a heart wrenching scream and howling from a dog in the moat. I have no idea if it fell in or was playing in the moat and hurt itself on something. The dog was frantic with pain. I can't stand to see animals (or children) suffering and I immediately began to start panicking. Two men tried to lure the dog to the side but it just ran further into the water. Luckily, as I was contemplating getting in the water and taking it to the vet, a sweet man walked in and took the dog to safety. I have no idea what happened after that, but I thought about that dog for a good week afterwards. Serious blessings and mad props to that hero. Serious stank eye to the people who stood around and took pictures. Some people suck.







Rachel took this picture first and I couldn't help but copy her. That guy was mad cute!


We even made it to a church on Sunday. I hope this counts.



Shawna, Shawna, Shawna. I noticed more than just us snapping her picture! The legend say... if you touch this man's pencil you will have luck in writing. Eyes on the Kindle and not on the Shawna, creepy writer man.



I'd live there.



I hate museums and I'm not going to apologize for it. The only exception to the rule would be anything on the DC Mall. Old crap is old crap to me. All the good stuff is on the internet, and no one there is going to give me a mean face for getting a better look at it. That being said, the outside of this museum was really fun. Except for the white banner that someone drew on with black marker and tried to call it art. Ugh.


This is the War Hero Memorial. It was pretty stinking awesome. The first words out of my mouth were, "You know we're going to climb up that thing and get a photo, right?"



And so it begins.


This was after we had breached the second level of the statue. It looks like it would be easy, but the ledge scoops out and so you basically had to lift your entire body weight over the edge to pull yourself to safety. 



Jill made the statement, "Our maturity level goes way down on these trips." I'm going to take that as a compliment.


We were pretty dang high and poor Shawna gets vertigo. She's got a mad grip on that horse leg.


Mission accomplished!



You better believe I was mad scared trying to get over that crazy ledge and trying to find the footholds to the second level. 


Bum grabs all around!


We make trespassing look good!



One of the ladies is contemplating taking a post in Budapest, so we checked out where the embassy district was.

Budapest was the first city to have a subway system on the European Continent. They redid their stations to look like they would have when they were first created in the 1890's. Good thing someone brought a guidebook so we didn't miss out on all that info.


Thanks for another great weekend, ladies. You rock, just like Budapest!

1 comment:

Being Ausmus said...

The only way I would have enjoyed this blog post more is if I was there with you!!! Looks like such a fun trip, with some fun ladies!!! I love that you climbed the monuments...I love that you hate museums and won't apologize for it...and I love how they make their breakfast sandwiches!! Miss you dear friend. xoxo