Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Utah - The Finale


Every morning begins with board games at grandma's house. I'm a slight board game addict so this makes my heart swell. 

Ollie is a little young for board games, so we let him watch Dora on the couch. We have this setup so that he has to stand to see the screen. He needs a ton of practice walking and standing on those weak and chubby legs of his. It's all I can do to keep myself from strapping his legs to mine and running around the yard to speed up the process. 


Abby was pretty intense about how/when/and for how long she was going to get to hold her cousins. Holly was a lot more carefree about it than I was. Perhaps it is because she hasn't seen one of her kids take a nose dive off the couch while Abby was "watching" them.


All we wanted was one stinking picture of all four of the grandchildren in it. Jeremy tired everything he could to get Ollie to stay in place and look at the camera.




Then Jeremy had the great idea to hold the DVD player behind Holly so Oliver would watch his show during the picture. Spencer chimed in with some drumstick hitting to keep the twins focused on the camera. Clearly, we looked like the children and they looked like the annoyed adults. 

Even though I lived in Utah, I had never visited the "This is the Place" monument and village. It was totally cool. They recreated (sometimes using real personal belongings and houses) of the first pioneers. Jeremy has a secret desire to someday pack it in and live off the grid for a while. That sounds like a nightmare to me. Visiting this quaint small village full of dirt floors and gardens confirms it. I'm a taco bell/movie/hot shower/legs shaved kind of girl. For me, this is NOT the place.






The highlight of the tour was a beautiful manger with live carolers. We all got a little misty-eyed thinking of the sweet Savior and His humble birth. How thankful I am.




Abby made her first Christmas tree ornament. We got to hear that bell for the rest of the vacation.



Santa thinks we're nice, which is weird because I've always been a little naughty. I guess he doesn't check his list twice.



Denna was kind enough to let Abby put her homemade bird feeder -- a pine cone with peanut butter and birdseed on it -- in her tree. 


My friend Marg was in the neighborhood and took me out for dinner and shopping. She also brought the most DELIGHTFUL white chocolate raspberry cheesecake for me to eat by myself share. Just perfect.


This was the Lyman Christmas dinner. 




Abby with her great grandparents.


Abby made a ton of friends when we were home. They were kind enough to show us the awesome blow up  kingdom. It was full of bounce houses, two story blow up slides, and blow up obstacle courses. We can't wait to go back.



Holly and Spencer were kind enough to watch Abby and Ollie while we went to see The Christmas Carol. Abby was kind enough to pee on their carpet and taunt their dog while we were gone. 


The Robertson family Christmas.


One of the highlights of being in Utah was hanging out with Jeremy's brother, Cody. It has been a difficult/successful year for him, as he just completed rehab and got hired on as a cook at the center. Cody is amazing and we are so proud of him. He was assigned to help with Christmas dinner at the center and it was PACKED. Yes, this is the place where all the celebrities come to get clean. It was amazing to see how many people where there to support a family member or friend who is struggling to overcome an addiction of some sort. Addictions to anything -- including mine to food -- can be overwhelming to deal with on your own. It takes a certain amount of courage and faith to ask for help. Cody is a great example for all of us.








Here are two things grandma will let you do that I won't: (1) take pictures with her pretty expensive camera while standing on a chair in the middle of a restaurant.


And (2) put on makeup while we wait for our food. No one tell her she looks like The Joker.


This sums up our family picture experience. If only you could see mine and Jeremy's faces. They were equally as happy/angry.






5 comments:

Cassandra Hill said...

Love the photos! What a fun time! Thanks for the update on your adorable family.

Jessica said...

That last photo is priceless. Can we talk about that cute little man Oliver? When did his hair turn blonde? I'm a total sugar addict and I have the front frumps to prove it.

Sommer Family said...

Your back! I have so missed the blog! Loved all pictures and wish I could discuss them with you in person. When do I get to take you out shopping? I'll buy you two cheese cakes, and watch your kids. Come visit me!

Jill said...

How fun to see your kids with good ole Bro. Lyman! I can just hear his cackly laugh.

And for the record, I am also a taco bell/movie/hot shower/legs shaved kind of girl. Except for the legs shaved part.

Callicott Family said...

That last picture has to be my favorite. And Abby's lipstick. Classic.