Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Budapest - Day One and Two


I have the most amazing friends ever -- ones that will gladly ditch their families for a all-girls-weekend in another country.  First we did up Prague and this time we hammered out Hungary. I have no idea why we chose Budapest, but I am thrilled we did! I can't wait to see where we show up next. These pictures are totally out of order, but I'm too lazy to fix them. 

Coke is delightful in any country.


While we were waiting outside this store, I saw an old lady walk by a homeless man who was loitering. The man reached into her bag when she wasn't looking and took out a package of bread on the top of the bag. About 10 steps away she realized what had happened and started walking back to the man. I thought she was going to let him have it, but instead she took out more food from her bag and left it by his feet. That makes my heart swell with happiness. 

We ended the evening with a boat ride on the Danube. The food was awesome and there was a live band that played jazzy, romantic numbers. I accidently smashed my way into the bathroom (long story) and caught another passenger on the toilet, which wouldn't have been that bad if we didn't have to float around with them for another hour afterwards.




I've gotten into a habit of buying Christmas egg ornaments where ever I go. I loved that I got some photos of this lady making them before I bought them.


We went on a walking tour on day two. I sort of tune out about five minutes into tours and spend the rest of the time taking pictures of all the things we are passing. The tour guide was awesome, but I'm a creature of habit.





We chose to stay in a REALLY nice hotel in Budapest. Every once and a while you need to live it up. We splurged on rooms with views of the river/castle/bridge. The hotel is the L-shaped blue/green thing behind my friend Shawna. The beds were soft as a feather, the room service piping hot, and the whirlpool super swirly. I love me some Marriott. 


Here I am mocking the romantic nature of the setting. Keep in mind some people were kissing on this ledge five seconds before I took this picture. Love is all around.



Here are the gates to the castle. I love all the details on the fence.


We made it just in time for the changing of the guard.


Here is one of the buildings that they didn't refurnish after the war. The buildings around the palace were literally blown to pieces or riddled with bullet holes. It's eerie to see. 



This is the largest church on the hill. The tile is amazing.


You would think this picture was taken for the statue, but I couldn't get enough of the cute grandma and her little grandson at the bottom of the statue. He would run away and she would grab him, fly him in the air, and cover him in sweet kisses. It made me miss Oliver SOOO much. Well, at least for a minute or two.


I love this picture of the city in the background. Man I love this place.




When you stay in expensive hotels, it only makes sense that everything is going to be expensive -- like $25 for breakfast. I am pretty used to paying 4.50 Euro for a soda in a restaurant in Berlin, but I just couldn't justify spending more on the bar tab than the room tab in Budapest. I wasn't the only one....


I love the man in the back totally judging us. Susanne is so naughty!


She is such a run way model. She got the jacket.


Love birds again -- seriously?!?!?! What was it is about this Budapest coat of arms that got them all hot and bothered? I just don't get it.



My friend Shawna is much more interested in taking photos of crazy people than places. She is always making us pose near people she wants to put on her blog. Like this guy with the Popeye hat. So funny.


This was totally her "Juliet" moment.



My sweet and lovely Susanne. I love this picture of us. She seriously makes my heart melt. 



This photo was taken before our other two friends showed up. It is such a blessing to have wonderful friends who are totally game to travel the world with me. We'll all be in different countries next year, which means we'll totally have to travel from place to place to reconnect. Susanne will be in Israel. Jill will be in Texas. Shawna will most likely be in Jordan or India. Wendy will be in Malaysia. Rachel will still be in Germany. I'll be goodness-knows-where. 

Best. Girls. Weekend. Ever -- until the next one, of course :)

2 comments:

Jill May said...

Jealous jealous jealous! You totally deserve a trip like this, though! Soooooooo fun!

Jill said...

Remembering this makes me so happy! Budapest is on my short list of favorite cities, as much for the zany fun as for the actual city. Thanks for making it happen!