Friday, March 16, 2012

My Family Seriously Rocks

It has been a long time since we've had family photos taken. This year we made a pact to suck-it-up and spend a few frustrating hours trying to look like a big happy family, which we usually are when we aren't forcing four kids to all look the same way and not have tantrums. We sort of had a color theme until we realized that Pam hated the colors we chose and then matchy matchy went all out the window. Regardless, I would call the whole experience a success.

I am so proud of my mom. We had every reason in the world to check out and take a pass on life after our dad died, but we all got great educations, jobs that we love (and, YES, being a stay-at-home mom is a job), found loving and nurturing spouses, and contribute in our communities. We all became accomplished, charitable, independent, and intelligent woman because my mom would not accept any less of us. Every day I am thankful she made us accountable for who we are and what we should become. Being a single parent is insanely difficult -- I know, I did it for seven months last year -- and my mom somehow made it look easy. 



The only downfall was not having John (my sister's new finance in the picture). We've been waiting FOREVER for him to propose and he did it just a few days after these photos were taken. We were worried that we would have to cut him out if things didn't end up happily ever after. Instead, we now have to worry about pasting him into these photos. I guess we'll just have to do it again next time!


Jeremy was really sick the night before we took these photos. He gave us only 30 minutes of smiles before he bailed out and laid on the couch for the rest of the day. That's why there are a lot of pictures with me and the kids and none of Jeremy and the kids. There are also no couple shots of us. I guess you'll have to take my word for it that we are still madly in love.


Love, love, LOVE these kiddos.


My sisters make me so incredibly happy. We are super close and I consider them my best friends. 

Kim drove me crazy while in high school, but she's become my closest confidant and supporter once we both started having children. One night, when Jeremy was deployed, Abby was up for hours with this dry, nagging cough that drove me crazy. No one could sleep, including the baby that was going through a must-nurse-every-hour phase. I was beyond exhausted and completely overwhelmed, so I called my sister Kim at two in the morning. Instead of giving me the same old boring speech -- It will get better. Pray for strength. All these trials will make you stronger. -- she paused for a minute, cried really hard for 30 seconds, and then croaked out, "sometimes being a parents *&^$%#%#& sucks." Sorry if that offends you, but it was EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Her brutal honesty saved me from entering totally meltdown mode and instantly we were both laughing. She's the best sister ever. I know my sister Pam feels the same way about her. Every person deserves a Kim in their life.





My sister Pam is also a rock star sister. She is hilarious beyond measure and is incredibly witty. She's a fashion maven by trade, and is quick to offer her services and make us over. We are so excited for her to get married. I am totally thrilled she chose a destination wedding for next Spring. She is going to be the most beautiful bride! We are all in love with her hubs-to-be John. He makes everyone feel comfortable and the children can't get enough of him. Pam gives great advice and is super positive. Every time I think we're done having children I think of my sister Pam and how boring life would be without her in it. What if my parents stopped after me. BORING. Every family needs a Pam -- I just hope we got ours already!


Isn't Reese darling? Those curls are precious.


This photo is SO Abby. Can't you just feel the joy?




We also love Greg! It amazes me every day that Greg and I are the same age and we went to school together and now he's my brother-in-law. I'm really thankful that we didn't run in the same circles and don't have an awkward past. He is so incredibly kind and easy to talk to. He isn't a man of many words -- in fact, he can respond to my one page emails with one liners, which always make me laugh. They are super cute and cheesy romantic.

6 comments:

Cassandra Hill said...

Your family photos are beautiful!

Jessica said...

I love how your sister both comforted you and made you laugh when you called at 2am. It's so true that sometimes you just want to hear what is the truth--that some days just suck. Your family is gorgeous. I died over those photos of Abby and her long locks!

Sarah said...

What a super mom your Mom must be! And I bet she's so proud of you three...and grateful she stuck with it!

Love the family pictures. Cute, cute, cute :0)

Libby said...

ahhh Denise. Loved this blog. XXOO

Aunt Kim said...

You are too kind. Every family needs a Denise! You light up our lives when you come home and your kiddies are just as delightful and adventurous :) I love when Jeremy comes home with you. He is definitely a team player and very fun to have on our wild kid trips and board game nights. Thank you for being you! You play many roles including being a peacekeeper and you are so fabulous at all of them. Give that adorable Robertson family a HUGE group hug from me! xoxo

Pamela Lewis said...

Thanks for all the sweet comments! We are so blessed to have such an awesome and supportive family! Dad would be so proud of all of us! Xo