Friday, December 01, 2006

10/3 – Don’t make me swear at you.

Right before we left Dinai our new friend climbed a palm tree to get us fresh coconut milk. It took forever for him to peel back the layers and get the top off but it was worth it. I’ve never had the real thing. We used a section of the outer layer shell as a spoon for the soft coconut; we ended up leaving the hard coconut inside. I normally don’t love coconut but this was wonderful.

Stomachs full, we caught our taxi to go back up to Mombassa. We were happy to be able to use the Internet and spent a good two hours emailing everyone back. We still had an hour or so until we had to be at the train station so we wandered around the city looking at all the mosques. It was fun for a while, but then we noticed that we were a tad bit lost. We were able to get some directions, quicken our step and make it just in time.

The lady in ticketing was a total swear word and wouldn’t put us alone in a room, which is ridiculous because the train was nowhere near full. She was really mean about it and wouldn’t budge. She even gave us a bad look like we were idiots for asking. I love meeting the people of Kenya, but overnight in a small room with people I don’t know isn’t my favorite thing in the world. Plus, I haven’t been feeling well and I was pretty sure I would get train sick.

Luckily we got a great bunkmate that was really awesome. She was a lovely Muslim woman from India currently living in Mombassa. She was in the middle of Ramadan, and was kind enough to answer the questions we had regarding it. She spent some time telling us about Islam, a religion I have been studying for the past year, and I filled her in on Mormonism and Western Christianity. She was well traveled and had a lot of great information for us. I was really happy that she was place with us, even though I still greatly dislike the ticketing lady.
We’re excited to get back to Nairobi. Strangely enough we miss it a ton already.

No comments: