Friday, December 01, 2006

10/5 – Unrequited Love

Sally is here! I love when she comes to hang out with us. She took over my spot at the orphanage with Tara while I helped Lucy buy some last minute foundation items for the school. They had everything under control so I just had to sign on the bottom line, make sure the transports came and the building started to go up. I didn’t want to spend too much time there because we call a commotion wherever we go and there was much to be done. I didn’t want to interfere.

We spent the afternoon with our friend Gerald. He was kind enough to invite us over to meet his family. He is a physical therapist and volunteers with the children at the orphanage. We had a blast eating lunch, touring his village and visiting his sister’s school. During lunch I heard some squeaking under my chair. I asked what it was. Gerald’s brother pulled out a box with three tiny baby kittens inside. They were so adorable. He named the kittens Denise, Sally and Tara after us – not that I asked him to or anything ;) What a perfect day!

The ride home was a little shady. We ended up taking a matatu because they were practically empty and Gerald was with us. However, I think the man who ride insides the matatu and collects the money was totally drunk. Before the end of the trip I had married Tara off. We had a loud and hilarious conversation about men in Nairobi and the experiences we have had here. It turns out we’re worth a lot of cows, which we determined no one here could afford. He got out of the van to let us out. I thought he just wanted to be a gentleman but it turns out he wanted hugs and kisses. Before I knew it he leaned over and slobbered on my shoulder before embracing Tara is a long drawn out hug. Needless to say, I was not impressed. What could you do but laugh?

Before we got to Lucy’s house we stopped by the school. They have made great progress. The walls are up and the cement is almost ready to be poured. It’s nearly dark and they are just getting started. They are so excited that many are prepared to work during the night to help us finish. I am impressed by the willingness of the villagers to help out. It means a lot that they show their appreciation with action.

No comments: