Friday, December 01, 2006

Land of the Free, Home of Denise

Welcome your newest citizen, Denise Michelle Robertson. After million years and dollars later I was able to go for my citizenship interview and test. The interview was a snap, the test was a bomb. He even had to nudge me on an answer to put me over the passing edge.

In my defense, they rigged it as hard as possible for me. I thought it would be pick the answer from the list, verbatim in the wording of the study questions and done in a quiet isolated room. Instead it was 10 apply your knowledge questions, free-style vocabulary and done with both Jeremy and the interviewer staring me down from the other side of the test. Not to mention I had jetlag from Africa/Toronto and only a day to study. Talk about pressure.

The ceremony was the same day across the hall. First we had a guest speaker welcome us, then we watched a taped recording from President Bush, followed by a video montage of places in America to the song Proud to be an American. I did notice that they used the pretty side of Niagara Falls in the video, which belong to Canada and not America. I was probably the only person who noticed.

Then it was our turn – we repeated the oath, sang the national anthem and got a handshake/certificate from the government representative.

It was pretty awesome. Now I am a dual-citizen – the best of both worlds. Double the holidays, double the fun. I love you all my Canadian/American counterparts.

No comments: