Friday, December 01, 2006

11/23 – Happy Thanksgiving!

I was so excited when I found out I was going to have Thanksgiving dinner at the Officers’ Club at Atsugi Naval Air Station. Our sponsor, Simon, was kind enough to invite us before we left for Japan and we were really lucky to have reservations.

The buffet includes breakfast and dinner items, as well as a huge dessert area. The highlight of the day was definitely the chocolate fountain. I covered every dessert on my plate in chocolate goodness. The kid we were with told me that I was not allowed to drink from it. The little scoundrel read my mind.

The ride to and from Atsugi was awesome. The homes along the road are very tiny and beautiful with manicured lawns and orange trees that hang their branches over the sidewalks. Signs with flashing lights hang in front of every store. It feels like Times Square every time you turn around. It makes it really hard to concentrate on any one thing, which is pretty scary considering the narrow roads demand vigilant attention. I can’t get over how clean everything is.
I’m starting to get used to people bowing to us. We’re going to try to teach our dog to bow as well. Why should Gracie miss out on all the fun?

We passed out around five that afternoon, which isn’t too unusual. Every day we try to stay up an hour later and get up an hour later. It doesn’t get any easier at all like I thought it would. We’re both exhausted continually. Starting around four I mentally shut down and I have to struggle to keep my eyes open. I look forward to the day my body gives in and gets on a better timetable.

No comments: