Monday, December 11, 2006

11/24-12/06 – Who is training whom?

I am loving the library here. I’ve already read five books since we landed. It has been so long since I had time to just sit around and do what I love. Jeremy, who reads much faster than me, has hammered out some best sellers as well. I love, love, love it!

We have been spending some time with Gracie working on Schutezhuen training. It’s an obedience, protection and tracking test for German Shepherds. If you want to breed your dog or enter them into dog shows then passing this test is a must. Yesterday she practiced running up and down very steep hills. I, of course, had to run up and down them first as the example. Needless to say, after about one minute into the process she lapped me. She would run up to watch me struggle and then run down to Jeremy to help him laugh at my progress. At one point she got to the top and refused to come down so I had to go up to the top and get her. It tempts me to ask the question who is training whom?

Being a member of the church is here is overwhelming fun. The people are so kind. One person lent us their car for the week so we could go out and explore. How nice is that? We also get invited to dinner all the time. They also have a ton of events planned so we are never bored. It’s nice to know you have a second family where ever you go.

You are not allowed to leave Japan with a car title in your name; you either have to sell the car or junk it. Since many people end up leaving on such short notice this leaves you in quite a pickle. We saw one car that had a sign on it that said first person to call me gets to have this car for free. Needles to say, we were that person and now we have a car. It has a few bumps and bruises but works great. Once I give it a HUGE cleaning it will be perfect. It’s nice not to have a car payment anymore!

Now that I’m on the road I’ve learned some interested things.

Bikes and people are always right. Even if your sitting at a light and then run into you it’s your fault.

Each car is equipped with a backup sensor. The closer you get to something the loader and faster it beeps. It’s hilarious.

If you get caught driving drunk you have to pay $3,000 for each person in the vehicle including yourself. The limit is also way lower – 0.03 instead of 0.08 in America.

If you splash someone with a puddle you have to play for their dry cleaning.

If you cause the hold up of a train (subway/light rail) you have to pay the fare for everyone on board.

If you’re in an accident and the other person has to go to the hospital you have to pay a Gomen. This means you go to the hospital to give your respects and give them presents.

Cars here are like transformers because the parking spaces are so small. For example, when you shut your engines your side mirrors start going in. I’m always expecting to come back and see it shaped like an origami bird.

When you come to stop lights you dim your lights so the other person isn’t blinded at the intersection.

The toilets here are magical. They have all these options so you can pick what sort of water pressure in the flush you need. You can also turn it into a “area” cleaner with another button. It can play music so that other people don’t have to listen to your noises. It can also spray air freshener to cover up any smells. What are the people here eating they need something so fabulous?

I think we’re in some sort of crazy weather season. The first two weeks it rained almost every day for like 15 minutes. Last week it was warm enough that I wore short sleeves. Now it has started to rain again. Shouldn’t it be snowing?

It hate change. Canada uses far too many coins in its currency and Japan is no different. Anything below a 1,000 Yen ($10 USD) is a coin. After a night out I come back 10 pounds heavier with big bulges of change in my pants. Attractive.

My favorite place to spend all my coins is at the 100Y store. It’s a five-story dollar store that sells super nice things. The dollar stores in the states always have super cheap looking items. Not here. There is no reason to get anything anywhere else. They have a great toy and craft section. I ended up buying a ton of presents there. I’m bringing everyone who comes to visit there.

The plants here are so fun. People don’t have a lot of room so they have to get creative. Because space here is so limited many times they incorporate fruits and vegetables in their landscaping designs. For example, there are a ton of beautiful orange trees everywhere. They also put cabbages instead of scrubs leading up to the front door. You can literally eat your way home.

One of the most memorable dates Jeremy took me on was when we went to see the Army Band play at the Daughter’s of the American Revolution building in D.C. They were amazing. People really got dressed up – men in uniform and women in fancy (black) dresses. It’s when we fell in love with D.C. and knew we could live forever.

Last week he took me on a date here to see the military band play on Camp Zama. It wasn’t as formal but just as much fun. After they played we all went outside to watch them light the camp Christmas tree and sing carols. It was a blast. My first Christmas on a USA military base – who would have thunk it?

This week I had my first job interview. It’s with a small English teaching company right off post for about eight hours a week. I plan on working mostly from home but wanted a few hours out of the house as well. They hired me on the spot and I start in January. Sweet deal.

I also got out to ride the train (the subway) for the first time this week. It is WAY more confusing than any other subway I have ever ridden. There are a ton of different lines and each one is owned by someone different. That means you have to get off and buy a separate ticket each time you switch lines. Since the ticket machines are in Japanese you basically have to guess where you’re going anyway.

The Japanese are very unique in the way they dress. Men in Japan have a very metrosexual look. A lot of the younger crowd have long hair, earrings, nail polish. They even look like they wear makeup. I find myself having to look twice to guess their gender. The girls here dress incredibly immodest. I’ve even seen shorter skirts or lower tops. It really cracks me up when they through on a scarf on to stay warm. I don’t think Jeremy and I will be inspired to join the crowd.

When I got off at my final stop I thought I was in the clear, but then I realized I had no idea how to get from the train to Camp Zama. Like the genius I am, I looked into the sky and followed a military helicopter as it flew overhead back to camp. It turns out I was only two streets away. What a crazy world I live in!

No comments: