Friday, December 01, 2006

Nov 17 – Land of the Rising Sun

We’re finally here! Thanks to the worst airline I have ever flown – American Airlines. My TV didn’t work so for 16 hours I just stared at the wall ahead and read my book. They were skimpy on the food. The ripped carpet was especially nice. The stewardess looked like she was going to have a nervous breakdown if I asked for anything. I yearn for the days of Emirates Air and hope to avoid flying American Airlines for the rest of my life.

As the plane taxied in we saw some rather shady looking men dressed in black staring at the plane from an empty field. Right in front of them was a sign that said DOWN WITH NARITA, which happens to be the name of the airport we just flew into. Looks like we got some dedicated haters – charming.

I knew I was in Japan when the immigration attendant marked my papers with a cartoon pen with a Hello Kitty plastic cat hanging off it. She was really sweet and helpful.

I got lost just outside luggage. Jeremy was taking a sliding elevator that went underground and when I went to follow a rough Japanese lady grabbed my sweater and refused to let me follow. I was yelling at her in English; she was raising her voice to me in Japanese. Finally she grabbed my cart – which had two suitcases and the dog on it – and pushed it across the parking lot and into an open space about five minutes away. I had no idea when we would find each other again. By chance we meet up a later in the lobby. Clearly I need to learn how to say – crazy lady, give me my cart back or I will kick you in the shin.

Soon we connected with our Japanese sponsor, Simon. He got us on the military transport for the three-hour drive back to Camp Zama. He filled us in about life at the base, what we should expect and why we’re going to love it. He was also kind enough to stock our hotel room fridge and cupboards with food and drink so we could beat off the jet leg with full stomachs.

The Japanese highways are raised above the city and you look down onto the streets and rooftops of the town below. It almost feels like you are flying in the sky. The clouds/fog hangs low and you expect to almost disappear into the stars. They circle and swerve around and about high in the sky – it’s not for the faint at heart.

At the gate of the base we were met by guards with guns hanging around their necks. It was daunting at first but now it is a comforting site. You have to show your Military ID everywhere: at the gate, every time you buy something, to submit all official documentation, to book flights, even to get a library book. There is no way you can sneak in and expect to get anything done!

Our temporary home on Camp Zama is much like a hotel – one room with a small kitchen. It is very comfortable and clean. We have heard that Japan has large insects everywhere and our room was no exception. We found two hard-shell beetle bugs in the first half an hour. We haven’t seen any since so we just consider them the welcome wagon representatives. They were kind enough to put two kimonos in our room to sleep in. Looks like I have my Halloween costume for next year!

The clocks and television are all programmed to military time, something I don’t get at all. I’ve already had to count it into regular time with my fingers at five times.

There must be a dark side to living on base because there are a ton of commercials about suicide, marital problems and drunk driving. They even post how many days have gone by without one – unfortunately the largest number we saw was 51 days. Wow, that’s a problem. It looks like they need a MADD representative on base; good thing I’m here.

2 comments:

Telitaadams said...

Here is an easy trick for figuring out miltiary time: Drop the 1. Subtract 2 from the first number.

Let's say it's 1500. Drop the 1. So it's 500. Subtract two from the first number.

It's 3:00!!

Telitaadams said...

What about the 2200 to 2400 hours?

Just change the first number to 1, then subtract two from the second number.