Friday, December 01, 2006

I had the best job ever

I love my job. It breaks my heart that my time there is coming to a close. I thought that it would be fun to write a top ten list of things I will never forget about my experiences.

10. Fashion No-no
I was captured on C-SPAN with white socks and brown shoes. Don’t even get me started on my plaid brown pants. I looked like I was 80.

9. Subway Meltdown
In the middle of the D.C. “floods” I was stuck in the subway for two hours. It wouldn’t have been too bad had I not had an event that I was supposed to record that day. I showed up to work two hours late, totally soaked and crying like a baby. Yep, I would call that unprofessional.

8. Dog Stare Down
Going to record the Iraqi Oil Foreign Minster was a real treat. Not a real treat – the guard dogs. Strangely enough they were labs, which are not really bomb dogs to begin with. First it stared me down and then it started sniffing me where bombs normally aren’t – totally inappropriate.

7. Zip It
Something I should have told my zipper before I walked around my office for half a day. Thanks for telling me everyone!

6. Rebel Yell
Kim, my colleague, and I were at Senator Rockefeller’s house recording an event. I was wearing heels that day, and totally exhausted. We called a taxi at the end of the night to pick us up and started walked down to the end of the laneway to meet it. About half a mile down we saw a taxi that we clearly didn’t call. Needless to say, we got in and stole it. A man ran over to say it was his taxi. Whatever dude – heels over age.

5. What Statue?
The State Capitol in D.C. is amazing. The inside hallways are lined with statues and artifacts behind a rope. However, the rope is about a foot away from the “prized possessions.” While running to make an event I accidentally took a corner too sharp and slammed my audio suitcase right into the base of the one of the end. This maneuver was followed by an extremely loud bang that echoed down the hallway. Before security could get there I high-tailed it out of there. I have no idea if it was broken, but I’m sure they can fix it J.

4. Drama on Tape
It happened at the end of the Middle East Symposium at the Capitol. Most camera crews had left and it was just me and CNN crew closing up the last minute details. They kindly asked if I could clean up in the dark because they needed to set the lighting for one-on-one interviews. There was a little light so I really didn’t mind. A few minutes later I was crawling under the camera with my suitcase on the way to the door. Just as I thought I was in the clear I snagged my suitcase on a chair, which fell over and hit the chair behind it. Like dominos a whole series of chairs went down during the interview. It was so loud they had to stop the taping. Then everyone laughed at me for about 10 minutes. No one helped me pull myself out from under the chairs. Oh, boy. No thanks to you, CNN.

3. I’m Not That Into You
Memo to the key speaker of a military contractor I had the displeasure to record at an event – I’m not that into you. It doesn’t matter if you wink at me from the podium, give me the thumbs up or use catchy phrases like “warheads on foreheads” – I’m married, and you totally freak me out. No, I don’t want you to wait for me by the elevator so we can ride down together. No, I don’t need a ride back to my work. Did I mention NO? The whole world is not that into you. Memo sent.

2. Kick It Good
D.C. is a little crazy when it comes to things like bomb threats. For example, why should I leave the fifth floor of a sturdy building to stand right beside the unknown tiny package on the sidewalk? How does this make sense to anyone? So when security came into my office to say we had to leave right away I think he was a little surprised when I told him I was busy and that he should just kick the package across the street so I could meet my deadline. Of course I was kidding and I left a few minutes later. I don’t think he got the joke.

1. One Big “F”
My favorite moment at my job was when I took the new interview grammar test they give candidates who apply. They were probably going to use it to find a replacement for me. Not only did I fail the casual test my co-worker gave me, but I also failed the bonus question she offered. Good thing I took it on the way out and not the way in.

Seriously, I’m going to miss that place every single day. Much love to 1000 Vermont Ave.

No comments: