Friday, December 01, 2006

10/6 – Safari in My Mouth

Sally is back. Wow hoo fun! Today she was kind enough to help Tara and I get the last minute supplies in town. We rented a huge van to help us get all the supplies back. It was a relatively easy process, but much had to be done. We wanted to go out for our last night and so we had a deadline. We brought them back to Lucy’s apartment to put the gift packages together later.

We also headed over to the school to check on the progress. It is almost done but needs the finishing touches like doors, windows and decorations. We were hoping to get some posters up and the desks inside but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

None of my credit cards have been working for a few days. I think that the banks cut me off because I kept withdrawing so much cash – for the school – from Africa. They did that when I was in China and I had to call to explain that it really was me and to unblock my accounts. Boo hiss! I have to keep borrowing money from Tara who was kind enough to share her funds. Good thing I made it until today. I have a lot of explaining to do to my local banks.

When I was leaving I took a short cut through the slum with Mary. I slipped in some water garbage and grabbed onto a rail to steady myself. Unfortunately, I sliced my finger on a nail on the railing and it was bleeding quite badly. The first thing I thought of, of course, was HIV. It didn’t help when Mary exclaimed, “Miss, don’t worry; it happens all the time.” Great, just what I need to hear! I frantically called Jeremy to see how much danger I was in. It turns out HIV can only stay alive airborne for a few hours so my chances of getting it from that nail is very unlikely. Dang slum nails!

After that shenanigan we needed some sweet relief. We loved the Java Café and decided to make that our last lunch in Nariobi. We also hit up Nukamatt photos so that we could get photos developed for us all to share. While the photos were being developed Sally, Tara and I danced around and picked out outfits for each other. We also joked with the staff about eating the animals we saw on safari – little did they know it was only a matter of time.

The ride to dinner was a tad bit scary. There was a festival tonight and there were a pile of drunk people all over the road and driving around us. They were speeding and honking and being royal pains in the behind.

We spent our last night at a famous restaurant called Carnivore, and then we went out dancing. Carnivore is basically a safari in your mouth. We ate everything from camel to ostrich to anything you can find on the vast planes of Kenya. It was totally amazing and surprisingly delicious. They bring out a ton of sauces for you to sample with the different meats and they were great as well. We totally stuffed ourselves. If it’s your birthday they come out with bongos, chant and dance. We saw them perform a few times and I couldn’t believe how great they were.

Now, on to the dance floor we went. Boy did we dance! We danced until about two in the morning. They only placed fast songs, which was awesome. Sally brought back some old dance moves for the 1980s. Tara cranked out the slam jams from the 1990s. I mostly stood around and laughed at them until I cried. The African girls that came with us were amazing dancers. We really let loose and had a ball. I think we all needed it. At one point Sally made some music request; however, the DJ totally ignored them and played whatever he wanted. This led to a hysterical stare dawn and then an anti-dance off. I will remember that night forever.

No comments: